Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Taking Action Against Tourette's At Night!

Since i've been having so much trouble sleeping lately, my mom and I decided it was time to take action! Today I ordered my first ever weighted blanket and I'm really excited for it to come! Weighted blankets have been proven to help reduce tics at night for those with Tourette's, proven to decrease the time it takes to fall asleep, and proven to help you stay asleep.


Here is a part of an article from Tourette's Action about Tourette's and weighted blankets:
"Research into weighted blankets by the University of Southern Denmark has shown that they reduce the time taken to fall asleep by almost 40%, taking 15 minutes on average to drop off. The study also showed the tendency to wake up during the night was reduced. 
There are various types of blankets available - one example is a blanket that offers an even distribution of weight, stocked by Rompa. Another type contains silent plastic balls to 'help stimulate a sense of calm and feelings of safety.' We're told that an 11-year old boy from Preston, who has ADHD and Tourette syndrome (TS) has found that he can now settle easier at night thanks this type of blanket. 
Like many children with ADHD and TS, Harrison Stanley was unable to sleep or even stay in his own bed at night; a problem which caused stress and prolonged tiredness for the whole family." 
So anyway, I am hoping that the blanket will help me as much as it helped Harrison!!! I ordered mine in a pink color and it should come in 3 to 4 weeks or maybe even sooner. Lets hope it shows up soon because I need to be getting more sleep than I've been getting lately. The other night I woke up squealing, hitting myself, and jerking like crazy. I hate the full body jerking at night. Makes it so hard to go to sleep. I really need this weighted blanket to work, or at least just help. 
On another note I am now on 10mg of Lexipro and am completely weened off of Zoloft for my OCD meds. Hopefully I will have more success with Lexipro than I've had with Zoloft. So far i've been on 10mg of the Lexipro for three days and I've had no bad side effects just yet! I hope it stays that way because the last thing I need right now is side effects. 
Also just got back from another date with my boyfriend, Speed Racer. We ate dinner, went to see the new Sherlock Holmes movie, and then went to get ice cream later! During the movie I had quite a bit of trouble with ticcing. My strong head nod which somehow gets my entire body involved was really acting up along with my hand tics where I shake and flick them at the wrists. After the movie my boyfriend told me he thinks there is one thing I could never be in my future: a human statue. One of those people who dress like a statue and stand still for money in Paris and New York and such. Haha, I had to agree with him on this one. He sure knows how to make me feel better :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment