Monday, December 12, 2011

James Durbin Necklace to Benefit TSA: Wearing it to School!

I know I already posted today, but I wanted to post again about my James Durbin TSA necklace (click on the link to learn more it!). Today was the first day that I wore my new necklace to school. I had fun showing it to my friends, explaining what it was, and getting compliments on it! Only two of my friends previously knew about James Durbin and his Tourettes, but for those who didn't actually know who James Durbin was, I was happy to tell them about him and the necklace he's selling to benefit TSA. When I was wearing it today, I couldn't help but look back to earlier this year when I saw my cousin, Twitch, wearing her "Tourette's Tics me Off" bracelet for the first time. I have to admit when I saw her wearing this bracelet it almost made me jealous. She was so open about her Tourette's, that she was willing to wear it, literally. It was a way of owning it in a way. To me it was a way of saying, "Hey I have Tourette's. I may not always have control over my body, but I do have control to choose to really let others know that I'm okay with it and I'm not ashamed or embarrassed that I have it". When I saw her wearing it for the first time it was only shortly after I had first started opening up to my friends about my TS. I was still very self conscious about it and I admired her in a way for wearing the bracelet. Today was my day to wear TS in a sense. Today I did not hesitate to tell people that "Yes, I am wearing a necklace to benefit TS, and yes I'm going to tell you about it because I'm not embarrassed of Tourette's. It's just a part of me".

No comments:

Post a Comment