Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Home Video of Lip Pursing Tic At 4 years old

Hey everyone. So as I have said in the previous posts with videos like this, I just got some old home videos converted into DVD's so that I could watch them. This is a part of one of the home videos that my mom filmed when I was around 4 years old. In this video, you can see that I am doing a simple motor tic which is a facial tic. I purse my lips and hold them out. As I said before in the previous posts, it's pretty strange seeing a four year old me ticcing! After I was diganosed with Tourette's, looking back I knew that I had tics all along but since I don't have a very good memory of when I was four I didn’t know that I had quite so many and such obvious tics at this age. This is just one of many tics I have seen in the videos of myself around this age.


It also amazes me looking back on these videos that my parents really thought I just had bad habits that they needed to force me to break and never took me to a doctor or psychologist as a kid. I know my mom recognized I was doing something out of the ordinary because once she realizes what I am doing she quickly turns off the camera and the video switches to another video. Even though she recognized I was doing something out of the ordinary, she just thought that she could make me stop ticcing by telling me to stop and by breaking my "habits". I kept ticcing throughout my childhood though and still of course tic today a lot regardless of my parents telling me to stop ticcing. Telling a child to stop ticcing does not help! It only makes things worse for the child! Tourette's Syndrome is a neurological disorder and cannot be stopped by pure will. 




No comments:

Post a Comment