Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Meet Johanna! Johanna's Bio for the Documentary!

Meet Johanna! She and many others who live with Tourette's Syndrome will be featured in our upcoming documentary! 

"Hey, I'm Johanna! I'm 18 years old and live in Lititz, PA.

I've had TS for as long as I remember, but it was very mild until age 16. My tics range from neck tics, to full body convulsions, to screaming obscenities, to screaming fun words like MOM BIT ME!. I have to many tics to nam

e!

The hardest part about my TS is the severity. My tics are constant and sometimes I struggle to do simple tasks such as feed myself. TS comes in a wide-range of symptoms. Unfortunately mine is at the very severe end.

One of my favorite things to do is bowl. Most people don't know that when us with TS, no matter how bad, the tics can calm when focused. Did you know, there's a surgeon with severe TS? Yep! That's right! When he's performing surgery he doesn't tic at all!

I think people should know that Tourette's isn't a funny swearing disorder. Only 6-10% of people with TS display Coprolalia (which is a comorbid disorder which is associated with Tourette's). Tourette's is a movement disorder and uncontrollable vocalizations i.e. grunting or humming. My wish is that people understand we can't help it. We can't control it, and I promise you it bothers us more than it bothers you. At least you can walk away from it, we can't."






No comments:

Post a Comment