Saturday, April 12, 2014

My New Hitting Tic


My newest tic is a rough one I have to admit. I've had it for three days now and it's not the easiest to deal with. I hit myself in the chest with my hand which makes a loud slapping noise and I also have a fairly loud vocal tic that usually happens at the same time as well. Besides leaving my chest sore, it's also made my friends jump a few times because it's so sudden, loud, and forceful.

It hasn't stopped my from having a good weekend though or doing the things I normally do. On Friday I went to an outdoor concert on campus with five of my friends and today I went to an on campus carnival and went shopping at the mall with two of my friends. I was doing my new tic at pretty much all of these events and although I got quite a few stares, I'm used to it for the most part so it didn't bother me.

I also felt a lot more comfortable and okay with the fact that I was ticcing a lot in public because I had my TS medical ID card with me. I haven't had the need to pull it out or use it in any other way yet because no one has approached me about my tics in public, but I still felt better having it. I knew that if I needed to, I could pull the card out and also explain my TS verbally and they would understand or at least leave me alone. Knowing this made my confidence lever better than it would have usually been in public this weekend which was really helpful.

I don't know how long I'll have this tic and I'm not too thrilled with going back to classes on Monday with it, but I know my classmates and teachers will understand. They have all been so understanding and make me feel comfortable in the classroom regardless of my tics.

Also this is kind of unrelated, but on Friday one of my friends commented on another tic that popped up and told me it was cute and she liked it. It was a vocal tic where I said "rawr". My other friend said I should do it in class, and I laughed and said I probably will end up doing it in class at some point. I like when my friends are able to talk with me and make light of my tics. It makes me feel like it's not this big elephant in the room. It makes me feel like it's something we can talk about and it's not such a big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment