Friday, April 27, 2012

Tics damaging my toes....yikes!!

So today I went to a doctors appointment for a problem I have been having for a while. About a year ago, I noticed that both of my big toe toes had large bruises under the toe nails and ridging of the nails as well. When I first went to the doctor, we thought my shoes were too big for my narrow feet and that my toes had been bumping up against the front of my shoes so I was told that I just need to get different shoes and wait for the nails to grow out. Well it's been a year now and my toe nails are still severely bruised with blood under the nails so I went back to the doctor to see if he had any idea as to what was going on.

My toe nails look so bad that my mom thought the doctor was going to have to do some horrible procedure and take them off or something! I was totally not convinced that this was what they were going to do though. Well the doctor didn't really have any new solutions for me right then and there, but he did give me new insight into the cause behind the chronic bruising. He said that based on the ridging and bruising, the trauma was being done to the base of each big toe nail and not to the top where we once had expected. He was baffled, lol, and actually said "This is quite a finding". We concluded that the cause must be Tourette's because that was the only thing that makes since. I must be bashing my feet up against the top of my shoe or against the side of my chair at school without being really aware of it. I have so many tics; how can I really keep track of them all?

So the doctor is sending me to a podiatrist (a doctor who specializes in feet) to see if he can come of for any type of solution for me. The doctor said the podiatrist may be able to give me specialized padding for the tops of my shoes to help soften the blows or maybe a suggest a special type of shoe.

Grrr I am so mad at Tourette's right now! My toe nails look so bruised and awful! I haven't been able to wear sandals, flip flops, or any type of shoe that shoes my toes for over a year now. My toe nails are soooo awful looking and I really don't want to keep bashing my feet up against the shoe, but I can't stop myself from doing it. Heck I wasn't even aware of that tic in the first place. Well hopefully the podiatrist will be able to come up with some type of solution. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment