Thursday, November 3, 2011

"Heads Up I Make Noises That Sound Like A Pokemon"

Today I experimented with a new way of telling others that I have Tourettes. I usually take the advice from the tsa website which is to take the next time you tic as an opportunity to explain, but this time I decided to try the "heads up" approach. I was doing a long partner run during rowing today and I was paired up with someone I hadn't been paired up with before. After about 10 or so minutes of running I could begin to feel that farmiliar feeling that comes before my bouts of vocal tics and I decided that I would give her a heads up in advance. As we were running I said "Hey, just a heads up, I may make some noises pretty soon. They're involuntary. Don't worry, I have Tourette's Syndrome and It's pretty normal for me". The girl I was running with was really chill about it and told me not to worry at all. She then told me that when she gets upset she mixes german and english swear words together and it sounds pretty weird. Not sure how this really relates, but I just laughed along. It took less than a minute for my "eeekkk" sounding vocal tics to start up. I then added that my friends say I sound like a Pokemon which is kinda hilarious. She thought this was pretty funny as well. All in all I like this approach to telling people because it makes me feel less embarrassed. This way I knew before I tic that the girl was okay with it and understood. It made me more at ease and I image it made her more at ease as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment