Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Being Diagnosed with Tourette's and my parents' reaction

It was a Wednesday, Febuary 23rd, 2011 to be exact and I was sitting in the office of the head of a prominent university's movement disorders clinic with my parents on either side of me waiting for the neurologist to tell me what I already knew and what I knew my parents dreaded. I shook slightly from nerves and tried to explain clearly through my dry mouth, my obsessions, compulsions, and tics. I even demonstrated, per request, one of my vocal tics that sounded just slightly off from a hiccup or a squeak. Thoughts ran rapidly through my mind as the doctor tested my reflexes, asked me to follow his finger from left to right, and had me walk toe-to-toe in a straight line, a task I could hardly complete without tripping thanks to my nervous shaking which elicited the all too familiar “boy you are nervous” comment. I had received this comment more times than I could ever begin to count along with the all to familiar "are you okay?" comment.  I thought about how my parents would react after hearing it from the neurologist. Would they get angry? Cry even? I thought of my mother’s words from two months before the appointment, when I first told her that my nervous habits were called “tics” and that my psychologist who I was seeing for my OCD thought it was Tourette’s syndrome. These words are still with me today and remind me how far my parents and the people around me have come in terms of acceptance and understanding: “Having Tourette’s is like being in a wheel chair, Ruthie. Those people bark, shout, and swear. You don’t have that, it must be something else”. Near the end of the appointment when the neurologist confirmed my parents’ fears and told us that the kinds of things I was explaining, my history of tics, obsessions, and compulsions did indeed indicate Tourette’s syndrome, I found that my idea of my parents’ reactions was not too far-fetched. My parents now knew that you didn’t have to bark, swear, or shout to have Tourette’s, and that in fact most people with Tourette’s only had the kinds of tics that I have, things like eye movements, air swallowing, arm and hand jerking movements, sniffling,  squeaking sounds, and muscle tightening. However even though they knew these things, they still reacted with fear and the need for absolute silence about my diagnosis.
                Per my parents’ requests, no one could know that the neurologist had diagnosed me with Tourette’s syndrome, a neurological disorder characterized by multiple motor tics (involuntary movements) and at least one vocal tic (involuntary sounds), at least not until we really thought about the effects that telling others would have on my future. In the doctor’s office my father had told me that if people knew that I have Tourette’s, doors would close for me, people would discriminate against me, and worst of all even my closest friends and family would no longer accept me as a regular teenager. In my father’s mind, telling others about my condition would be the end of my chance for normal relationships, a normal career, and a normal life. Although hearing this from my father, what I interpreted as his equivalent of saying that I would never be accepted for who I truly am and would have to hide forever behind the fear that my diagnosis held for both my mother and him, I refused to believe that his perception was the truth. I refused to settle for fear, denial, and self-rejection. 
     I knew it was my responsibility to show my parents they were wrong, because I knew deep down that they were. It was my responsibility to prove that people would not discriminate against me and refuse to accept me. I would not hide behind this diagnosis my whole life in fear that someone might find out, I would not let it have this much control over me and my life. My parents agreed that telling my friends and classmates that I had tics without mentioning the diagnosis Tourette's Syndrome was necessarily if I was going to come out of high school with any kind of mental sanity. I was so fed up with other people's comments. "Are you okay?" "Why are you doing that?" "What was that?" and even the occasional "Do you have Tourette's or something?". My friends were starting to wonder more than anyone else and I felt so bad lying to them and brushing off their comments. My friends seemed to be okay with my tic explanation when I explained. It was better than saying nothing at all I guess. But I was still hiding from the diagnosis; I was still prisoner. 

More of the story is coming! That's not the end! The rest will come soon, I promise. 

                

8 comments:

  1. waiting for the next part of the story ;) and hope you don't have to hide from the diagnosis anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading my blog! It makes me happy to see that people are actually looking at it :)
    I no longer have to hide from TS anymore at all which is amazing!I try to be as open about it as possible now. But it sure was a long road to getting to this point. Right now I'm super busy thanks to college applications (Early Action to Princeton! Yikes) so I probably won't be able to write the rest of the story for a week or so, but I will post the rest as soon as I can :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for being so open with your story. My 7 year old has an appointment with the neurologist tomorrow to confirm what I already know in my heart. I am so sorry that you had that reaction from your parents. I have known that something was "unique" with my son for a long time. A month ago with he started rolling his eyes back and forth and then to the back of his head and then jerking his head and it was then I finally got my husband on board to take him to the Dr. All blood tests confirmed that we have a healthy little boy with TS. I have read so much on TS that I am on information overload and have realized that it all started in preschool. He used to lick his hands and it would drive me crazy and then the stutter started but it wasn't all the time. Through the last couple of years vocal and motor tics have appeared and now that we know what is going on I am at peace with it. I tell him that there is nothing wrong with him.....that he has unique qualities about him just like everyone else has unique qualities about them. We have been so blessed with him being in a class where the teacher will do anything to help him and classmates who love him for who he is. Thank you for your post and your blog. As a parent that is completely new to all this it is comforting to know we are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for commenting and for sharing your story! I am so glad you find my post comforting and that it can help you feel not so alone. You sound like a fantastic mom who is already accepting and supportive even with the novelty of the situation! I continue to post about my life with TS on my blog almost daily so keep reading and comment on any other post if you want to share more! I wish you and your son the best!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The neurologist confirmed what I already knew.....he gave us the best advice ever...."once you have the diagnosis, throw it out. He can do anything if he puts his mind to it and the more you worry over it the more he will feel you worry." Of course I am thinking me not worry....yeah right...lol. But he is a wonderful kid and I am so proud of him and I wouldn't change him for the world. Again, thank you for sharing~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you finally have an answer about your son! At the same time, I know how hard that can be. The neurologist gave you awesome advice! That is so true, your son can do anything if he puts his mind to it. I have TS, and I just applied to 14 colleges (many of which are Ivy League. I am among the top 20% of my class in academic. I have not let TS stop my in any way! If anything, I am a stronger, more successful person because of my TS. Good luck with everything! I'm sure your son will be just fine. Just be as supportive as you can be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just came across your blog and wanted to commend you for sharing your life with TS. TS runs in my husbands family and I am noticing that my eight year old daughter is having tics. Its great to be able to show her other people that have it and are continuing to lead active and productive lives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much! I love writing this blog sharing my life with TS with those who need to hear it the most. Thanks for commenting! Good luck to you and your daughter! If your daughter is diagnosed with TS, don't think that this makes her any different than she was before! She can lead an active and productive life just like I have been able to.

    ReplyDelete