Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Meet Grant! Grant's Bio for the Documentary!

Meet Grant! Grant and many others who live with Tourette's Syndrome will be featured in our upcoming documentary. 

"My name is Grant Russell Jarboe and I am 10 years old. I live in a small town near Indianapolis, Indiana. I’m in the 5th grade and I love math the most. I love playing soccer and I’m on a travel team. Mostly I play defense. 

I’m not sure how long I’ve had Tourette Syndrome but I do

n’t remember a time when I didn’t have it. My mom says that I have had it since I was very little but wasn’t officially diagnosed until 2009.

I have lots of tics that I do all of the time but sometimes I have some that come and go. The tics that I do all the time are a head nod, some noises I make with my throat, a hand shake, a jump, nose wiggle, running my finger under my nose, grabbing my privates, and smelling my blankies when they are around. Sometimes I have different vocal noises. There is an order that my tics go when they come out but it depends on the situation that I am in.

The hardest part of living with TS for me is when I’m running and have a tic, it makes me stop and do it. I could do it on the way but I worry about landing wrong and getting hurt so I have to stop to let my tic go."

I am good at my position in soccer. I work very hard to defend the goal when I’m playing. One of my strengths during soccer is when I tic and it distracts the opponents. I don’t let my tics bother me or slow me down. They are who I am.

I want to bring awareness to help people that are made fun of because of their TS. Even though I’ve only had it happen once it made me realize that sometimes it happens to other people more often and I want to make people understand what TS is and that they can’t help it."






No comments:

Post a Comment