Friday, December 2, 2011

Writing Out Words with Fingers, Repeating Words, and A Mental Tic that Says Stop

So I figured I'd write about another strange mental tic that I've been having lately. The line is very much blurred between this kind of mental tic and an actual tic though which is something I find very interesting. For those of you who don't know, mental tics are like physical tics except for they happen in your mind. A mental tic is a kind of OCD that is more tic like in nature and less obsessive in nature. In elemntary school I had lots of mental tics and they would get in the way of paying attention in class. Sometimes when I was in class I would repeat each word the teacher said in my head right after she said it. I would sometimes go on doing this for the whole lesson and try to keep up with repeating the words in my head as fast as I could. I would sometimes repeat what people said out loud and sometimes I would write out the words the teacher was saying with my fingers on my desk. Sometimes I would get stuck on one single word the teacher had said and would have to write it out with my fingers on the desk over and over again. Very frustrating! Even now I'll catch myself repeating what the teacher says in my head or writing out the words with my pencil or my fingers. I don't do it as much now, but this week i've been catching myself doing it a lot!

Now this is a very strange mental tic and a very new one as well! My first cousin has Tourettes, I have classmates at school who have Tourettes, and I have friends from the TSA meetings who have it as well. All in all I am around a lot of people who tic! Now what's the worst and riskiest thing for one person with TS to say to another person with TS when they're ticcing? The answer: "Stop!". So this is exactly what my mind has been telling me. When someone near me tics, sneezes, hiccups, or coughs, which happens quite often when I am at home or school or out and about, my brain just yells "Stop!". Of course I don't want the other person to stop because number one tics never annoy me! I'm so used to it! And number two I know of course I know they can't stop! They have TS or they're doing something else that's involuntary like sneezing or coughing. Its just a risky thing to say and that's just how TS and OCD works. Then I start worrying about it like "why am I thinking this?" "I don't need them to stop" "I don't want them to stop!" Then this is where the line is blurred, on a few occasions I will find myself repeating stop stop stop stop over and over in my head like the word is stuck or writing it out with my fingers.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have experienced the same tics when I was younger and still do. I would, in my head, repeat what the teacher was saying, I also find myself doing it during church. Almost a year now I have been consumed with writing things on my fingers, just a random word or sentence I hear someone say. I have to do it or I get really uncomfortable and can't continue with my day. I have been doing some research and I think I may have OCD, do you have any input on that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always done this finger-writing thing. I never knew (still kinda don't? ) what it was. I always thought I was just weird or had some other mental issue (I have ocd), glad someone else does this too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always been a finger writer. I was obsessed with it when I was little, but still find myself doing it now at 36. Some words just seem to have to be written

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow. I thought I was the only person to do the finger writing thing. I'm 41 and still find myself doing it sometimes.

    ReplyDelete