Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Senior Project- First Blog Post!

At my high school all seniors are required to do a senior project before graduation. Students do various things outside of school for the senior project such as work in bakeries, shadow doctors, record their own music, or work in women's shelters. The options for what you can do as a senior project are pretty much endless. During the process of our senior project each student keeps their own senior project blog. Today was my first blog post! We don't actually do the senior project until the end of the year, but today we posted on the senior project blog about what he were planning on doing and how it was going to be a new experience for us. I figured that I would post what I'm posting on my senior project blog on my own personal blog as well! Here was what I wrote!


For my senior project, I want to help out in an English classroom at a special-ed school.  The kids who come through the classroom are in middle school and at that grade level the school runs on a middle school model so students go to different classrooms for different subjects.  The teacher in the classroom I would be helping out in teaches grammer, reading comprehension, and writing skills.  English and Literature is one of my strengths and during the few days in the summer that I spent in the classroom I was really able to help the students. I have a personally connection with this project not only because of my strength in English but also because the students who have classes in the English classroom all mostly have High Functioning Autism or Aspergers Syndrome. Although I know a lot about English and Aspergers Syndrome, this project will still be a new experience for me because I will be working with the students on a more regular basis. I don’t really know a lot about the inner day to day workings of a special-ed classroom so being in the classroom more regularly will be a new experience for me. Also some of the kids have Behavioral Disorders or other disorders besides Aspergers, so working with those children will be a new experience for me as well.

So that was my first senior project blog post! I'm really excited for my senior project and I just wanted to share my enthusiasm! Also I didn't mention this in the blog for school but many of the kids at the school also have Tourettes which is obviously exciting for me. The kids who are at the special-ed school who have Tourettes usually aren't there because of their Tourettes but rather because they also have Aspergers or a behavioral disorder along with their TS. I already met two kids with TS in the classroom over the summer and I'm excited to work with them again! I will continue to post about the progress of my senior project and my senior project blog over the process of the school year and will certainly blog about it when I start the project at the end of the year! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment