Here are some of my favorite Aspergers awareness videos:
What is Aspergers Syndrome?
Children and adults with Asperger’s Syndrome have an intellectual capacity within the normal range or even above the normal range, but have a distinct profile of abilities that has been apparent since early childhood. The profile of abilities includes the following characteristics:
A qualitative impairment in social interaction:
- Failure to develop friendships that are appropriate to the child’s developmental level.
- Impaired use of non-verbal behaviour such as eye gaze, facial expression and body language to regulate a social interaction.
- Lack of social and emotional reciprocity and empathy.
- Impaired ability to identify social cues and conventions.
- Fluent speech but difficulties with conversation skills and a tendency to be pedantic, have an unusual prosody and to make a literal interpretation.
- The development of special interests that is unusual in their intensity and focus.
- Preference for routine and consistency.
May also include:
- motor clumsiness
- problems with handwriting
- being hypersensitive to specific auditory and tactile experiences
- self-stimulation behaviors