Friday, August 23, 2013

Second Meeting with A Professor about Tourette's

Second professor down, three more to go! The second professor I met with was just as fantastic as the first! She was incredibly understanding, and was also curious about Tourette's as well. She made more reassurance statements than my last professor because I think I looked nervous today. I have been ticcing a lot today and was ticcing in her office more as well than in the last professors office.

Her reassurance statements really did help me! She said things like "we're on the same page" and "i'm really so glad you came in to talk to me about this because it really helps me to know" and "you should find another person with Tourette's on campus so you both can go around and educate the entire campus!" and "you are really good at educating about Tourette's and you are so confident about it too!" She was really so sweet and amazing. I can't wait to be in her class. She also drew out a sketch of the lecture hall and helped me find the best place for me to sit considering the fact that I like to sit near the front so I can pay attention and also have an easy way to step out of the room when my tics get bad. She told me I could sit up front by her and the TA's any time which made me feel really good and like she had my back :)

She was confident, kind, approachable, fun,  and in no way scary at all. I can't wait to forge an even better relationship with her! And one of my suite mates and very good friends is in her advisory which we figured out while we were meeting :)

I also handed her one of the medical ID cards that I made which she thought was great and helpful as well :)

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy reading your blog so much Ruthie. I've been reading it for a couple of months now & sharing bits of it with my husband. We have a 10 year old son with Tourette's and find you to be a very inspiring and courageous young lady!!

    You may want to google the Feingold diet. We have been able to largely control our son's tics through diet; we started with Feingold, but actually had to go much further- basically our son cannot eat any fruit other than banana and peeled pear and any spice other than garlic & salt, but it has gotten his tics down to just a few squeaks & throat clearing. Basically if it has color it makes him tic! Now he takes breaks & has pizza or ketchup occasionally, but he controls when and how his flares affect his life. I signed up for your blog & gave the option to be e-mailed, so if you ever have any questions feel free to get in touch!

    Good luck with your college year; hope it is wonderful & blessed!
    :) Nicole

    ReplyDelete