Thursday, July 5, 2012

A Message for Diva

Today my beautiful dog passed away. She has been battling Addison's Disease all her life, and bladder cancer for these past four months. Her last dose of chemo wiped out her defense system and so when she caught a virus, she could not fight back. Diva was such a fighter, but it was her time and her body was ready to rest. I loved every moment I had with her, except for maybe those times when she jumped up on the table and ate my lunch or when she had an accident on the carpet! Diva loved to carry socks all over the house, loved eating ice on hot summer days after her walks to Starbucks, loved jumping up on the couch or on our big yellow chairs, would always be waiting at the door and wagging her tail when we came home at the end of the day, and would talk to us by growling playfully and making her adorable "talking sounds". We are known by our pizza delivery man as the house with the friendly standard poodle. 


I agree with Billy Collins, all dogs become poets after life, or at least they should. Please write me lots poetry Diva, so that maybe one day I can read it with you. Rest in peace, beautiful girl. I love you, and I miss you already. 


"Now I am free of the collar,
the yellow raincoat, monogrammed sweater,
the absurdity of your lawn,
and that is all you need to know about this place


except what you already supposed
and are glad it did not happen sooner--
that everyone here can read and write,the dogs in poetry, the cats and the others in prose."
-Billy Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment