Monday, September 10, 2012

Wearing my TS Wristband at School

Today was my first time wearing my "Tourette's Tics me Off" wristband in college. I wore it all day, and near the end of the day added another wristband that says "Donate Life" because I signed up to be an organ donor. No one really commented on my wristband, but I still felt good just wearing it! It made me feel more open about my TS and made me feel more like I accept the fact I have TS and accept myself.

Since moving into the dorms, I've been talking less about TS because even though I have told quite a few people about my tics briefly, my new friends and I are not close enough to feel comfortable talking about it quite yet. They don't really know what to say I think, and truthfully I don't know how to bring it up very well without being awkward about it either.

One thing I know though is that time helps everything. In time I will be more comfortable talking about TS with my new friends, and in time they will too. For now though, wearing my wristband today was a start. Hope all is well with those who read my blog. Feel free to comment here or on my facebook page or give me suggestions about blog topics or anything like that. Just in case you've missed my facebook page for this blog on for posting about TS in general, here is a link: http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Little-Bit-Different-Tourettes-Syndrome/164459540340080?ref=hl#


3 comments:

  1. I have that same "Tics me off" bracelet! I got it at Camp Twithc and Shout this past summer!! Were you there too. I was one of the camp nurses and my daughter Emily was a camper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, my daughter ordered green bands that say "I support Tourette's Syndrome Awareness" I wear at least one of them every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I have heard great things about Camp Twitch and Shout. I've actually never been, but my cousin went to Camp Twitch and Shout last year and she got a bracelet for me. Glad to hear that you wear TS wristbands too! I'm wearing mine right now!

    ReplyDelete