Saturday, May 19, 2012

Senior Project- Day 3 and 4


Day #3 – Please comment on your own strengths and weakness with this project.  At what are you excelling and what is the most challenging?


While working at litzinger I have found I have many strengths but also some weaknesses as well. Some of my strengths include working with technology, staying focused and on task, getting work done, being productive, and being willing to do anything I am asked to do in the classroom or anything that I think needs to be done. I have worked with technology like Microsoft word and Comic life so far to make binders of “helpful reminders” for students which include images and comics that I have made using comic life. I am very good with technology and the teacher in the classroom was so impressed when I had finished the comics and images to fill the binders. She even said that they looked so professional that they should be published. I was able to spend a lot of time and use a lot of effort to work on this project. I got a lot of work done and was very productive which are strengths. I also am very good at writing, and reading comprehension so it is very easy for me to help the kids with that. I am good at helping them understand what they read and write as well.


I do have some weaknesses that I have discovered though. I have trouble being strict with the students and using my authority to get them to behave. I find it hard to tell the kids what not to do and tell them when they are being too loud or that they are misbehaving. I am reluctant to do this mostly because I know how angry these kids can get and I don’t want to be the cause of a major meltdown or have physical or verbal attacks directed at me. Although the kids are so sweet most of the time, in a second they can completely change and have a major meltdown and need to be brought to another room to calm down. I am getting better at being strict with the kids and letting them know when they are misbehaving, but this aspect is one of my weaknesses and I still have reluctance surrounding this.


Day #4 – Answer all Random Questions. (Random Qs doc file)


Random Short Response Questions:


1.) Who did you sit next to most today?
I sat next to a boy who I will call P today. P needs to be supervised by an adult at all times because he has aspergers and depression and when he gets upset he tends to run off. He has to be supervised so that he 

doesn’t run off.


2.) Write one adjective to describe your performance on this project.
Productive



3.) What type of music is played at work or when people are on “hold” if applicable?
No music is played because it would be disruptive for the students. They watched a movie though today which was  called “The Game Plan”.


4.) On a scale of 1-5, how good was your day today?
Today I would rate my day as a 5!


5.) Would you ever really work here or do this for a living?
No, I don’t think I would ever work at a speical-ed school. The teachers have to really discipline the children and when the children get worked up and very angry they can punch, kick, and spit at teachers. Truthfully, I don’t want to work at a place where my safety is in danger. While doing my senior project I have had no problems with this because I am not the one disciplining the students.


6.) What did you wear to work yesterday?
I wore orange caprees and a teal shirt. I also brought a black jacket because it tends to be cold in the building.


7.) Who is the most challenging person/concept in the workplace?
The most challenging people are the students because sometimes they don’t want to do their work or get into an argument with the teacher or another student that will trigger a full blown violent melt down.


8.) Who/What is the least challenging?
The teacher of the classroom Ms. Ralson is the least challenging because she always gives me something to do to help out with in the classroom and always makes sure I am comfortable and respected by the students.


9.) What is the most important thing you’ve learned so far?
The most important thing I’ve learned so far is more patience. I have learned to be more patient with students who don’t want to do work or who are immature for their age and want to talk about things like Yugioh, angry birds, or talking orange toys.


10.) Who would win in an arm wrestling match?  You or your mentor/partner/co-worker (choose the one that is applicable)
The students would win in an arm wrestling match, particular some of the bigger students. Most of the students in the class are in 5th or 6th grade and some of the boys are very bit and strong compared to me or even the teachers. This is what can make their melt downs so difficult to deal with.


11.) What time do you have to wake up each morning in order to be at work on time or in order to be productive?
I wake up at 7:30 every day to be on time for work. The students arrive at around 9:00 and I like to get their early to talk with the teacher, get some paperwork or computer work done, and just show that I am willing to show up early.


12.) Write the title of your location and create acronym that describes it.
Lively
Important
Thoughtful
Zealous
Inquisitive
Noisy
Guarded
Exciting
Rambunctious


No comments:

Post a Comment